Wednesday, March 21, 2007

Week 24: The Final Blog of Year 1

Well u want some constructive feedback eh?

Now, if i gave this to you......

What would i get in return??

haha only joking.

I know it will do me good.

To be completely honest with you, and i dont care how geeky it sounds, I spend pretty much every day of the week, including weekends, doing some form of work. Whether it be a blog task, art work, or 3ds Max stuff it doesnt matter. I am always pottering around doing some form of work! and to be honsest, some of it has paid off!

I noticed that Mike said that somebody had suggested doubling the amount of traditional art we do.....if that means doubling class time and homework, sorry mate but i dont have enough time in my days to complete it!!

Im not somebody who can produce very good artwork very quickly., it takes me hours just to do one good A3 piece.....im not sure i could actually fit anymore artwork into my days. Ive done enough work and have the sketchbooks to prove it. (I have three, unlike Louise who now i htink has four :P)

Now that i have had inductions to the plastics/sculpting rooms, and to the model workshops, I shall make full use of those in my spare time, as my sketchbook will show you. But yes as somebody did suggest, it would be nice to maybe use studio time to go down there and create something (obviously only if relevant) or have a few scheduled hours a week when we can use either workshop if we want too. Mind you, im quite happy going down there and just doing it all on my own time. I even use the print rooms!!

Most of my weekdays are spent in the labs, doing my 3D work and trying to get it upto scratch, and yet i still constantly have minor problems, but they will sort themselves out in time, and theres always somebody there who can help me. I am satisfied with the contact time which we have with joel, and if hes not there, there is usually somebody who is who can help me. If they cant, you've already lost a weeks worth of working time!! It would be nice if all the computers worked though. I appreciate that Tim has a lot of things to sort out and they can take time, but at least half of the computers in the labs dont work, and then if u take a day off and work at home because of this....you get moaned at...right? a weeks worth of absense or something?

I mean its getting a bit silly now if you ask me.

Would be nice to know that they all have a working version of 3ds max 9, and u dont risk the file messing up between the programmes. Somebody in our class has that problem, now they can only use a 64bit verion of 3ds max!

Now, the days out in which we have every so often with Chris for our art have been fun....except when it has been cold, wet, miserable and i didnt bring a coat because i wasnt pre-warned!! It would be nice to go on more outings and maybe go to some companies or something. I know this cant all be arranged but it would be nice. It would be good if we could all go out and know what would help us, and then do it. Its nice to get out of the university and do things. I enjoy it as do most people.

Another thing is, like recently with telling us the way in which the assesments will be run, its a bit short notice and everybody seems unceratin as to how much time we have and dates for the assesments keep gettin changed. Like when Chris came up last week, it would have been nice to give us a little bit more time to prepare and plan our work wnad what we have to do. I know that things are still in the process of being worked and trying to find out the best ways to do things, but to me, that was too short notice!!

I have enjoyed all aspects of the course, some of the lectures i didnt find that interesting, but you know its all part of learning. Some aspects you enjoy learning about, some you dont! Some of them i found quite interesting and they made me think of things i would never have thought went into a game, whether it be the thought behind it, the research or just the game itself. Untill i began this course, i didnt quite realise how much work went into makeing games. Now i have more of an insight because, well, im learninghow to build those components, but also because the lecturers come and tell you how it works. You just dont realise how much goes into them untill somebody whos doing it tells you!

Maybe a few more lectures would be nice tho if possible? and interesting ones! haha

Its always nice to hear things straight from the people in the industry, who, hopefully, tell it to you straight. Then you know exactly what it is like.

With the 3D aspect, ok so by choice i probably wouldnt have made a house, a wheelie bin and a van, but in the end i know i have now learnt the basic essential skills to use 3DS max and i can now improve on those which i have already acquired. But then thinking about it, i dont know what i would make if it was just left upto me to decide what to do.....hummmm.......

*Ponders*

Nope, cant think of anything. I think thats pretty much it for my final blog task of the year!

No comments: