Isnt that what i am doing? in a way im being told to assess they way people write about games....so im assessing somebody who’s assessing what im assessing and studying in the first place......not that made any sense to any of you people reading this but never mind!
On with the task! *Pauses for a moment before it gets underway*
To me, reviewers face the responsibility of delivering an honest review about the games without being biased, and trying to understand the workings of the creators. In my opinion, I think reviewers are wasting their time. To me, how can you take somebody else opinion of something, whether it be a good game or a bad game, when each and every one of us has different opinions anyways. I might read what they say, but 9 times out of 10, I completely disagree with them simply because of my own taste in games and how I personally decide if they are good or not. Anyway…
Reviewing games isn’t essential to the sale, even though it does play a big part. Without the review of games, people would still buy it, it would just mean that market and profits take a little longer to rise and become worthwhile. Also, without game reviews, magazines would have nothing to fill their pages.
*Pauses again and muses what to write*
If journalists want to write about games and what they think of them, then that’s fair enough. But to criticize what turns out to be a great game is just weird, and proves that it is purely opinionated. To be honest, I don’t know who pays their wages, and I don’t care! Whoever’s opinion it is, it doesn’t matter and it shouldn’t really matter to other people. Although it can also have a big promotional advantage if they say it’s a good game. I suppose in a way, now im thinking about it, the reviewers get paid by the magazine…maybe a little bit from the companies who they are ‘promoting’ for. Oh I don’t know……..
*Are you paying attention over there?? Nope, didn’t think so*
*Pokes*
'The games press is often painted as corrupt, lazy and - as I mentioned - fundamentally stupid. This is because we tend to be corrupt, lazy and fundamentally stupid'
Kieron Gillan
He stated in his blog that the writers really want to write about us. Why? I don’t know. They cheat…. people give them interesting ideas…they shove it in the magazine, which to me isn’t right. Taking credit for somebody else’s work oh dear. What is the world coming too? A games reviewer himself has admitted that as a profession, they are lazy, corrupt and fundamentally stupid. I’m not sure whether admitting that was a good step for him or not….
Anyways, on the note of bad steps, I shall report back to you with some more later on
*over and out*
Tuesday, November 07, 2006
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
uhhmmm, did you actually read Kierons essay? If you did, then surely you know why he says journalists are fundamentally corrupt and lazy...
also, you boldly state that people's opinions don't matter... you don't mean that, surely? Do you really not care what I think, or whether I care about what you think?
If we don't care or aren't interested in what others think, as a way of measuring our place in the world or of understanding what the world means, aren't we just sitting in the dark singing 'I can't hear you, lalalalalalala?'
If you really don't think opinions matter, a degree course is the worst place to be - cos opinions is all you're gonna hear for the next three years...
Post a Comment